ASP Healthcare recommends that when handling sharps containers the following steps should be followed:
– Never fill the container past the fill line.
– Prior to handling the container, always inspect for signs of penetration or other damage.
– Ensure that the lid is securely closed.
– Always pick up the container by the handle or handles.
– Do not drop the container or subject it to shocks.
– If the container has been dropped, inspect it for possible damage before carefully picking it up by the handles.
– The filled container should always be stored upright and securely stored while transporting it.
– Used sharp containers should never be disposed of in the general waste stream.